Dropshipping is the best way to start an online business in Nigeria. Before you go on and build your dropshipping store, however, you need to know how to do it.
The good news is that there’s a simple system for creating a successful dropshipping business in Nigeria, with step-by-step instructions to follow.
Once you’ve finished the whole process of creating your business, making money with dropshipping is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
Dropshipping is not only one of the simplest ways to begin an online retail business, but it is also one of the most profitable and popular businesses.
Dropshipping enables you to start an online business with little start-up capital or without having any prior experience, making it ideal for entrepreneurs with insufficient funds or those who are just starting.
It is not easy to start a dropshipping business in Nigeria. There are numerous factors to consider, which can be a little bit overwhelming for some people.
But starting a dropshipping business, on the other hand, is not as difficult as it may seem if you have the necessary knowledge and resources at hand.
In this article, I will be showing you how to start a successful online dropshipping business in Nigeria. This article will discuss what a dropshipping business is, the benefits and drawbacks of starting a dropshipping business, and how to get started in 5 easy steps.
Without further ado, let’s dive right in.
What Is Dropshipping?
Dropshipping is an eCommerce business model in which entrepreneurs sell products without having to carry any inventory.
When a store owner receives an order from a customer, they simply contact the supplier, who will then ship the products directly to the customer’s doorstep.
Dropshipping is a great way to start an online business with little upfront investment.
How To Start A Successful Online Dropshipping Business In Nigeria 2023
1. Research And Find A Niche To Sell In
When starting an online dropshipping business In Nigeria or any business generally, the first step is to find conduct your research.
Before you even consider starting a dropshipping business, you should decide what products you want to sell.
Investigate various niches until you find something that primarily appeals to you and your target audience or a niche that has the potential to grow later in the future.
Investigate various market niches in terms of demand and competition. Look at Google Trends for specific search terms related to your niche to see if this is the case.
Selling items in high demand will allow you to easily target customers and achieve high sales conversion rates.
However, if there is excessive competition for such products, earning profits from these sales will be detrimental.
As a result, you must select a product category that has low competition but high demand so that your efforts do not go to waste when attempting to sell the products online.
2. Research And Select Reliable suppliers
One of the most important steps in starting a successful online dropshipping business in Nigeria is choosing a supplier that is trustworthy and Reliable
This is crucial for two reasons:
For starters, if your supplier goes out of business or ceases to ship orders, your customers won’t be able to receive their products.
Second, if your customer receives their package but it does not include the item they ordered, they will be annoyed with you rather than the supplier who sent them something entirely different.
So, when choosing a supplier, you should always be on the lookout for suppliers that;
Have been around for at least a few years.
- Will deliver orders more quickly and efficiently to your customers.
- Has high-quality products at a reasonable price.
- Has the infrastructure already in place to quickly ship your goods once they’ve been ordered?
- That has received positive feedback/reviews from other entrepreneurs who use them on a day-to-day basis. You can check the supplier you chose with the Better Business Bureau to ensure that no complaints have ever been filed against them.
3. Create A Website Or Online Store To Sell Your Products
Once you have found a reliable supplier, you will need to create a website or online store where you can sell their products.
If you’re financially sound enough, you can set up your e-commerce website from scratch and sell your products directly from it. This is the most common option for beginners, and it is also the most time-consuming.
After you must have obtained your domain name and web host and your website is up and running, you should install the Woocommerce eCommerce plugin, which assists you with many aspects of running an online eCommerce store.
The Alidropship plugin can then be used to help simplify the process of dropshipping products from suppliers to various customers in Nigeria.
If you don’t know how to create your website from scratch or don’t know how to install plugins, you can hire the service of a web developer to do it for you.
After you must have installed the necessary plugins, you need to list your products on your eCommerce store. Be sure to include clear and accurate descriptions of your products, as well as high-quality product photos.
Next, you need to set up payment processing on your eCommerce platform. This will allow customers to pay for their products purchased from your store.
There are many different options available, so take some time to research the different choices and decide which one will work best for your business. Once you have everything set up, you’re ready to start selling!
You can also sell your products through an existing eCommerce platform. There are numerous platforms available, including Jumia, Konga, Stripelist, Shopify, and Alibaba. Some of these platforms are free, while others charge a commission.
4. Promote Your Website Or Online Store
After you have created your website or store and added products from your supplier, you will need to promote it so that potential customers can find it.
There are many ways to promote your website or store. You can promote your website or store by writing articles about the products you’re selling on your website or store.
By so doing, you not only increase the visibility of your website but also drive a potential customer to it when people search for the same product category via search engines, you can also promote your business on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter and also participate in online forums.
By doing this, you will be able to build relationships with potential customers and promote your business to a wider audience.
You can also promote your website via paid advertising, there are many ads company such as Facebook Ads, Google Ads et cetera that offers the services of making your website reach a larger audience base.
5. Organizing Your Finances
Not organizing your finances is among the common problem faced by novice traders in the dropshipping business today.
You need to get your finances in order. This means saving up enough money to cover the costs of setting up your business and running it for the first few months that is if you don’t have sufficient funds.
But if you do not, you can begin by going over your budget and eliminating any unnecessary expenses.
If you’ve saved up enough money or have sufficient funds for your dropshipping business, it is advisable to open a separate bank account for your dropshipping business. This way, all of your expenses can be easily monitored and accounted for in case there are any tax issues later on.
Financial operations such as small-scale business accounting, payroll management, and tax remittance should begin on the first day of your dropshipping business.
You should also ensure that there are no unsettled debts or financial gaps that could harm or destroy your business in the future.
Benefits And Drawbacks of Dropshipping Business in Nigeria
Benefits of Dropshipping
Benefits of Dropshipping
- Low Start-Up Costs: One of the primary benefits of dropshipping is the ability to launch an online store with no upfront investment. You don’t have to worry about inventory because you only pay for the products when you make a sale. Dropshipping is thus an excellent option for entrepreneurs looking to start their own businesses with little investment.
- Easy To Get Started: Another advantage of dropshipping is that it is relatively simple to set up. You don’t have to worry about inventory, packaging, or shipping, so you can concentrate on what matters most: selling your products and building your brand.
- Flexible: Dropshipping is flexible in the sense that you can run your business from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. This makes it the perfect business model for entrepreneurs who want to travel or live a nomadic lifestyle.
Drawbacks of Dropshipping
Dropshipping is not a get-rich-quick scheme. It’s a legitimate business model that can be profitable, but it takes work, dedication, and time to build up a successful dropshipping business.
There are a few potential drawbacks of dropshipping that you should be aware of before you start your own business:
- You Have To Work Hard To Stand Out: With drop shipping, you’re competing against a lot of other businesses that are selling the same products as you. This can make it hard to stand out from the crowd and attract customers to your store.
You’ll need to put in extra effort to make your store unique and appealing to shoppers if you want to succeed with dropshipping.
- You Have Less Control Over The Quality Of Products: When you’re dropshipping, you generally have less control over the quality of products that you’re selling since you’re not the one manufacturing or sourcing the products yourself. This can be a problem if you get a lot of complaints about the quality of products from your customers.
- There Is More Potential For Shipping Delays And Issues: Shipping delays and issues can be a challenge with dropshipping since you’re not in control of the shipping process. When you’re dropshipping, there is more potential for delays and other shipping issues because you’re relying on your supplier to ship products to your customers, and you have less control over shipping delays and issues.
This can be frustrating for customers who are expecting to receive their orders in a timely manner. It’s important to do your research and choose a reliable supplier
Frequently Asked Question About Dropshipping Business In Nigeria
Does Dropshipping Works In Nigeria?
Yes, dropshipping does work in Nigeria. Host your products on e-commerce platforms like Jumia, and Jiji or sell them via social media.
Does Jumia Have Dropshipping?
You can sell on Jumia through drop shipping. This means that you take pictures of your products and upload them on Jumia’s website, then once an order for an item has been made, Jumia sends a rider to collect the item from you and delivers it to the customer.
Can A Nigerian Sell On AliExpress?
Yes, merchants from Nigeria and other countries like Australia, Canada, the UK, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, India, and Europe can sell on AliExpress.
Starting an online dropshipping business in Nigeria can be a great way to earn extra income or even replace your current income. However, it’s important to do your research and plan ahead before getting started.
By following the tips in this article, you’ll give yourself the best chance for success. Good luck!