NIN Number is a must-have for every Nigerian citizen. The idea behind this number is to help the government verify the identity of all citizens, as well as help increase efficiency in the public sector.
If you have it, can you remember it? Since it is a new system of identification, it is likely that you might not recall the digits. However, here is how to check the NIN numbers on different mobile phone networks.
What Is The NIN Number?
NIN is short for National identification number. NIN number is used as proof of identity when buying a sim card in Nigeria. NIN number can also be known as an identification number. It is an 11-digit number that can be verified online, you can check your NIN by dialing the USSD code *346#.
Did you know it’s now mandatory to have a NIN number in Nigeria before one can access various government and service provisions? And if you don’t have your Unique Identification number, then this post is for you. This is the perfect guide for anyone who wants to know how to get their NIN number online.
How To Check My NIN Number On MTN, Glo, Airtel, Or 9mobile Online
For MTN, Glo, Airtel, or 9mobile network users, to check the NIN number, follow these steps:
- On your mobile phone, dial the USSD code *346#.
- Select option 1 to retrieve.
- Please provide the inputs as shown on the screen.
If your phone uses a SIM card that you used to register earlier, you can perform the above procedure.
Note that this process takes a little amount of time to respond and it deducts ₦20 from the airtime balance on your phone.
How To Link My Phone Number To NIN?
It’s quite easy to link your phone number to your NIN depending on your network provider, especially if you’re on an Airtel or MTN SIM card, and don’t have an idea on how to do so, then follow the guide below:
Link Using The NIMC Mobile App
Firstly, you will need to download the NIMC Mobile App to your device. The app is available on the GooglePlay store and AppStore. If you haven’t done this already, then use the search bar and enter follow the prompts “NIMC Mobile” then click on download and install.
Ensure your device is connected to the internet and that you’re using a secure connection, such as Wifi or your mobile data, and not on a public network.
This app will help you connect multiple mobile phone numbers to your NIN account, up to 7 different mobiles are allowed. Follow these steps to do it:
- Log in to the App using your security PIN.
- On the home page, select “MY DEVICES”
- Click on “ADD MOBILE NUMBER” and enter the digits you would like to link.
- Enter the OTP code you receive on the phone to complete the process.
How To Link Your NIN To An MTN Sim Card?
If you are a subscriber of MTN, then you can link your NIN to your MTN SIM card. with the following methods:
- Using the phone digits that you would like to link, dial *785#, followed by your national identification number, and submit the request. You can also dial *785*NIN#.
- If you are using a smartphone with the MTN app installed, go to ‘My Account and select ‘Link My Identity.’ Then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
- Send your national identification number as a message to 785.
- You can also visit any MTN shop in Nigeria or any other country where it operates to do the same thing.
How To Link Your NIN To An Glo Line?
To link your Glo line to NIN, use one of the following options:
- Visit the Glo website and submit your details.
- Using the phone with the Glo line you would like to link, dial *109#, then enter your NIN or dial *109*NIN#, then follow the instructions on the screen.
- SMS your national identification number to 109.
You will receive a confirmation message from NIN when your Glo line has been linked successfully.
How To Link NIN To Airtel Line?
There are two ways to link your Airtel line to NIN:
- Using the Airtel mobile app: Download the Airtel mobile app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store. Open the app and log in using your registered mobile number, password, and 4-digit OTP. Click on the ‘Profile’ tab in the top right corner and scroll down to find the ‘Link My Number To My NIN’ button. Click on it and enter your 11-digit NIN number. You will get an SMS confirming the successful linking of NIN with the Airtel Mobile number.
- You can also connect your mobile digits by dialing *121*1#, then enter your NIN and press the send button.
- To link your router/MiFi and ODU digits, visit the Airtel website to provide the details.
How To Link NIN To 9mobile Line?
To complete the process of linking your National Identity Number to your 9mobi mobile network, please follow these easy steps:
- To link your NIN to your 9mobile line, dial the USSD code *996# and select 1. You will be asked to enter your 11-digit.
- You can also log onto the 9mobile website and submit the required information.
How Do I Register for NIN online?
To enroll online, visit the NIMC website and go to the pre-enrolment portal. On the portal, enter all the required information in capital letters and then print out a summary sheet that has a 2D Barcode.
Then head to a registered NIMC enrolment center and present your printed sheet with the barcode to an agent at the NIMC enrolment center. The agent will use the barcode on your sheet as an identifier to locate your record in their system.
You will also need to provide proof of identity and proof of address documents at that time. You can find more information about which documents are accepted here.
Please note that you can only do the registration once-in-a-lifetime process and any subsequent attempt is a punishable offense.
How To My Find My NIN Number?
If you have never enrolled for the national ID number, you will have to go through the enrolment process to find your NIN. The process entails an online pre-enrolment on the NIMC website. Then, you will visit any nearby NIMC enrolment center, and an officer will capture and process your biometric data and give you your national ID number.
However, you can retrieve your lost NIN, by dialing *364# on your phone if you still have access to the phone number then select option 1.
Now that you know how to check your own NIN number, you no longer have to visit the nearest Service Centre. Plus, you can complete this task from home or on the go using the MTN, Glo, or Airtel networks – no matter which network you use, you can still get your NIN number when you need it.
If you’ve been looking for a quick and easy solution to a common problem, look no further than this guide.